Friday, September 19, 2014

Yoga is the Poetry of Movement



So I have always been intimidated by Yoga. I've always wanted to try it but my two main concerns were: 1) It’s too slow for me, 2) I don’t want to look like an amateur compared to the other people in the class.


I eventually was able to work up the courage to go to a class. There is this lovely little studio about 10 minutes from my house. They are THE nicest people in the world and I immediately fell in love.


I started off with a beginner’s class and quickly began to understand what all the hype was about. Yoga is amazing for the body and for the soul. Just FYI, this is not cardio. It’s slow movements and lots of stretching. One of the many benefits of Yoga is that it builds muscle mass. Especially for women, Yoga can help prevent Osteoporosis.


Yoga is also beneficial for healing, the body and the soul. Most studios offer a restorative class where you uses props to support the body so that you can hold poses for longer, allowing you to open your body through passive stretching. Some other physical benefits are flexibility, strength, muscle toning, balance, breathing, joint health, and pain prevention.


One of the really cool things I've learned from yoga is that it detoxifies the body.  A simple twist can remove the toxins sitting in your body, think of it like wringing out a sponge.


Yoga heals the soul, as well. Some of the mental benefits of yoga are mental calmness, stress reductions, and body awareness.

At the beginning of class, your instructor will tell you set your intention for your practice. What are you here for? What do you want get out of this class? Who in your life needs a little positive energy thrown their way? Those are some questions to ask when you set your intention.

One of the last poses the instructor will tell you to go into Savasana, or Corpse pose. It’s every yogi’s favorite pose! Savasana is where you lay flat on your mat and reflect on your practice. Sometimes the instructor will lead you on a journey, sometimes it’s just quiet time to focus on breathing and being in the now.


At the end of every class, the instructor thanks you for allowing them to lead you in your practice and says “Namaste.” You’ve all heard this word before, but does anyone actually know what it means? At the end of one class I took, the instructor actually read us the definition and it really stuck with me. Yes, it’s a way to greet each other or say thank you, but to Yogi’s it means much, much more.

I could go on and on about Yoga, but this post is long enough as it is, so to you I say ‘Namaste.”



No comments:

Post a Comment